Northern Food Businesses Stream
The Northern Food Businesses (NFB) stream is one of three streams under the Northern Isolated Community Initiatives (NICI) Fund.
The NFB stream will provide funding to Northern agriculture and food businesses and communities, to build a strong territorial food industry and help reduce food insecurity in the territories using practical approaches.
The goal of the NFB is to:
- Build a strong territorial food system;
- Reduce dependence on southern food production;
- Implement practical solutions to food security; and
- Build local capacity in communities related to food production and harvesting.
Who can apply?
This stream is open to:
- For-profit businesses or commercial entities;
- Organizations, corporations, associations, cooperatives, partnerships or institutions controlled by First Nations, Inuit, Metis and non-status Indians (except those established for charitable or religious purposes),
- Municipalities; and
- Social enterprises.
What type of activities qualify for funding
Activities that may qualify for funding include:
- Purchase of equipment to produce and harvest, process, and safely store, distribute or transport food;
- Research, analysis, and advocacy related to food production and harvesting, food processing, and food storage, distribution and transportation;
- Investments in food production systems; and
- Investments in skills training related to food production and harvesting, processing or storage, distribution and transportation.
How do I apply?
For more information on how to apply, please contact us by email at email@example.com or reach out to one of our regional offices by phone.